Thursday, September 25, 2014

ABS woes and printing landing gears

As I mentioned previously, my printer was having issues keeping the heated print bed at more than 92°C after relocating it to my living room. I fiddled around with a couple of ideas, and realized that the ATX PSU that came with the printer was only 400W.

After slaughtering an old PC, I salvaged a 650W PSU, and installed it in the printrbot simple metal. This helped dramatically with the temperature, and the printer now keeps around 100°C for the print bed.

The ABS plastic is still warping a bit for larger objects though, I'm suspecting that there is a draft along the floor. I intend to play around with various ways of shielding the print area during the weekend.

Anyhow, I promised a time lapse of a print. Here's an attempt at printing parts for a suspension landing gear I'm making for my Cessna 172. Notice how the right leg warps.


No comments:

Post a Comment